Refresh

Dear Kids,

It is almost the end of day four at camp.  I haven't received a letter yet or had a chance to talk to you and I am dying to hear all about your experiences: the good and the bad, the scary and the exciting.

In the meantime, I am a stereotype.  I am desperate to know that you are more than okay, that you are happy so I do what all mothers who send their kids to sleep away camp do, I refresh.  I am on the camp website numerous times a day to see are there new photos of you.  Can I catch a glimpse of an arm or a leg - "those are definitely her shoes!" - among a group of kids?  The crown jewel, a photo of you smiling with your arm slung around a buddy's shoulder?  Camp is a gift, but it is not a gift that is for everyone and as it is Avery's first summer going away this year, I refresh.

I try to give it time to be patient.  But it is hard, especially since no one needs to know just how often I am checking, how often I refresh.

I refresh on my phone when I wake up in the morning.  I refresh when I get to work and I turn on my computer.  I refresh when I need a break from writing an email or a presentation.  I refresh.

I love you both so much.  I miss you.  My heart hurts with missing you.  I'm not allowed to write that in a letter that I mail to you at camp, because I want you to be happy.  But years from now if you read this, please know that not a minute goes by when you are away that I am not missing you.

Love,
Mama

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I am the grandchild of slaves

If I write only once each quarter, does it count as a blog?

Happy Re-Birthday