The end of an era

Dear Alex and Avery,

Something tiny happened on Friday that feels rather monumental to me. Bank of America dictated that Daddy's cell phone can no longer be part of a family plan. And since Unilever pays for a blackberry for me, there was really no longer any reason for me to hold on to my other cell phone. Saving $50 a month? How can that be monumental, you ask?

My eyes tear up at even having to type that this means, gulp, that I will no longer have a 212 or a 917 or a 646 phone number associated with me. I am fully, gulp, 201. And every time Alex tells me how much he loves the mall (he says mawl, to my horror), I wonder if I have done the two of you a disservice by not trading palacial amounts of space and sending you out to the back yard to play without my needing to carefully watch over you for a 1000 sqft Upper East Side junior 4.

Are you going to grow up great as suburban kids? Probably? But I also know how badly I wanted to move to Manhattan and how Connecticut seemed only bourgie to me and not at all to the life I aspired to. Don't get me wrong, it's an easy and wonderful life where we are, but I do hope that the two of you will experience living in all sorts of cities around the world before you trade it all in for the 'burbs. And I hope that you two feel as anxiety ridden as I do when you have to give up the last vestiges of your city self, like giving up you 646 mobile.

Love,
mommy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

525,600 minutes...How do you measure....

If I write only once each quarter, does it count as a blog?

Happy Re-Birthday