It’s so hard


Dear Alex,
You’re 16 living in quarantine. Well not really sure if I should call it quarantine anymore because you go out and see your friends and disappear for hours at a time. It’s summer break so that’s totally acceptable.

But YOU ARE living in quarantine, at least when you compare yourself with your friends. And of course you compare yourself - you are a teenager. THEY can sleep in each other’s houses, you have to leave by midnight. THEY get invited for mini vacations at friends summer houses - you can’t sleep over so you don’t get invited. THEY can take the train to the beach - you are stuck at home, so you might as well do that ACT practice test...so fun.

I am so sorry that I’m either not aligned with what makes other families comfortable. I’m not sorry that I don’t give in to the bullying of my teenager as some parents have done.

I hope that I am wrong and the worst thing that comes out of this is you missing out on fun times rather than friends who get sick and have lifelong lung problems.

Regardless I wanted you to know that I have anxiety that I am ruining your summer. It is so hard to do the right thing.

Update: you just woke up early and came downstairs and are being so nice to me. You are happy that you will get driving experience and lunch from White Manna and all I can say is that I don’t know what I did to deserve such a great kid. I wish great things for you.

I love you
Mom

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I am the grandchild of slaves

If I write only once each quarter, does it count as a blog?

Happy Re-Birthday