I am the grandchild of slaves


I am the grandchild of slaves.
I have worked for huge corporate entities that want to do good and make sure
we all have attended unconscious bias training. LGBTQ speak up in these trainings
about all they encountered.  So do people of color. It is horrible what they have to
endure in their regular lives. I do not speak up. People do not want to hear from me.
If I speak up, the hate crimes against me will only grow.
I am the grandchild of slaves.  Slaves who were freed in the 1940s, 70+ years ago,
only two generations ago.  In those two generations we have embraced our freedom.
We are educated. We have bachelors degrees, MBAs, doctorates and post-doctorates. 
We are prosperous. We drive fancy cars and live in fancy houses.
We have no reason to be afraid and no reason to complain.  We have been given nothing
and achieved everything.
I am the grandchild of slaves. I appreciate my freedom every day.  I worry about my
freedom being taken from me every day.
I live in an idyllic town. It is a bubble of safety in which to raise my kids.  A town whose
residents go out of their way publicly to be inclusive of all people.  A town whose
residents have kids who adorn the middle school and high school walls with swastikas.
I am the grandchild of slaves. Each year on Holocaust Day and International Holocaust
Day we say REMEMBER and NEVER FORGET and NEVER AGAIN.  On Passover at our
seder tables, we recount our ancestors long before my grandparents, these ancestors
who also were slaves and we celebrate their freedom.  We say REMEMBER and
NEVER FORGET and NEVER AGAIN.
I am so lucky that my kids have friends who are just like them and friends who are
very different than them. Friends who tell them that the swastikas are probably just
a joke and not a big deal.  Friends whose parents would never say that (at least
publicly) and would be horrified to know that their kids had said it.
I am the grandchild of slaves. I live in a world of progress.  I live in a world that
hasn’t changed at all. I always have a valid passport and enough money liquid should
I need to leave.  I am thankful every day for the existence of Israel.
Am Yisrael Chai.  Despite the world’s attempt to strike fear in our hearts, to enslave us
and destroy us across generations and centuries and across recorded time.
Am Yisrael Chai.  The people of Israel live.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If I write only once each quarter, does it count as a blog?

Happy Re-Birthday